You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum has been replaced by community.chakralinux.org. No new registrations, topics, or replies can be made here. Read this for more information.

#1 2017-08-23 23:41:03

tetris4
Communicator
Website

This forum will be locked down, replaced by community.chakralinux.org

Hello everyone,

This forum has served Chakra well for nearly 10 years now. We've been through so many changes together over this decade. We asked our first newbie questions, learned more on our systems and how to make our first contributions, met and helped each other, made friends. So many memories have been recorded here. Exciting moments, happy times, difficult situations; everything contributed to what Chakra is today.

But we need to keep moving forward! Switching to a new modern platform was planned for a while now, and this will finally happen in the following days.

This is a notice to inform you that this forum will soon be locked and enter read-only mode. As a result, new posts and new registrations will not be possible.

Join us on our new community platform, where we can continue discussions, troubleshooting, sharing of ideas and feedback and interact with other members of the diverse and world-wide Chakra community!

If you have any pending issues or discussions on this forum, feel free to start new threads on the new one.

Once our website has been adjusted accordingly in the following days, we will publish another announcement to make this switch official.

#2 2017-08-24 13:11:19

ahjolinna
Tester

Re: This forum will be locked down, replaced by community.chakralinux.org

really?! the "new community platform" is fine for some smaller stuff, but I don't think it's a good/direct forum replacement.
for some reason many distros have started do this way, as I assume they think this is the new way forward, but I think we are going backwards with stuff like this...I really don't understand why simple stuff like a forum need to be b@#%$&ed.

I know that manjaro has something like this, and really don't even like it as I find it pain in the @#%$&! to use it....but that being said it's still looks better what you currently have (better theme?), the layout is more simple/relaxed and just seems more focused...maybe its because of the chakra's white only theme makes it nauseating plus the "Latest topic" section just makes it look cluttered

------

short version, I don't like it that much, but its enough if you make change to the (default) "look & feel" for the "new community platform"....as currently I find it nauseating...even the manjaro version is better

Last edited by ahjolinna (2017-08-24 13:15:46)

#3 2017-08-24 14:42:26

ReemZ

Fully agree with ahjolinna, I bloody hate the new forum. We're going from a professional looking website to a fuckin' toy.
Although one can (and I did) set the theme to something dark, it's about the only thing I like about it.
I can only hope the OS itself doesn't take the same nosedive the communication channels have.

Let me put it this way: If I were looking to replace my operating system, upon seeing the new website, I would NOT consider Chakra.

However, I understand a simple user alone like me can't stop a decision already made a while ago.

Sidenote, please don't compare to Manjaro, they couldn't even get a webcert right and advised their users to set their hardware clocks to the 1970's to "solve" that. Imbeciles.

#4 2017-08-24 20:41:08

ahjolinna
Tester

ReemZ wrote:

Let me put it this way: If I were looking to replace my operating system, upon seeing the new website, I would NOT consider Chakra.

I agree with that statement, that for the potential users the website/homepage look and feel is really important for first impression if they want to give the distro even a chance. For us this seems like small thing, but these types of (small) first impression makes a HUGE deal for the "conventional" end user (at least subconsciously)

anyways, "new forum" only thing what I like about this "new forum" is some of the needed features like the "Tags", which are missing currently, but adding these features doesn't mean "look & feel" needs to change completely with it.

ReemZ wrote:

Sidenote, please don't compare to Manjaro, they couldn't even get a webcert right and advised their users to set their hardware clocks to the 1970's to "solve" that. Imbeciles.

@ReemZ: I do agree with you that Manjaro is ...well in more..politically correct way...hit and miss..BUT they do have some good stuff that are worth look into like some other distros (openSUSE, KaOS, kubuntu, kde-neon, mageia, openMandriva)
I personally like to look at many diffrent KDE distros and see what & how they have done stuff, and what could maybe be implemented to chakraOS ..one way or another....sometimes I have completely new ideas from checking out these different distros.

------

I will add Souls project  to my distro check list when their Budgie (v11) DE has moved to Qt5

Last edited by ahjolinna (2017-08-24 20:45:24)

#5 2017-08-24 21:05:29

AlmAck
Sr. Packager
Website

Please be constructive, saying that this is s**t does not help us to improve it.
The decision to take discourse as our next forum platform was well pondered, the advantages over the current infrastructure are enourmous.
But if you don't like the theme is something that we can work on it. Did you know that we have the "Chakra Community Theme" available on discourse to choose from?

ReemZ wrote:

First of all, the forum is NOT the website. The website remains and will be improved over time. But the forum is were the users stay longer, and should be clean and simple. With discouse we are sure that we can reinforce the user connection and collaboration with the team and the whole community.

#6 2017-08-24 22:49:45

ReemZ

AlmAck wrote:

Please be constructive, saying that this is s**t does not help us to improve it.
(...)
But if you don't like the theme is something that we can work on it. Did you know that we have the "Chakra Community Theme" available on discourse to choose from?

I...assume this was not directed at me. However:

AlmAck wrote:

The decision to take discourse as our next forum platform was well pondered, the advantages over the current infrastructure are enourmous.

I assume you refer to advantages for the team, and I do get that putting as many parts of the website as a whole under one roof is meant to make things easier. However, team seems to complete miss one vital part: user experience, and I mean the non-advanced, as well as the business user. (Yes, Chakra is good enough for business use. I would happily use it at the office. No, the forum does not reflect that.)

AlmAck wrote:

First of all, the forum is NOT the website. The website remains and will be improved over time.

Nitpicking, you know I meant the forum. Also, only the CCR tab really works as a tab (meaning it keeps that nice, clean navbar div up there - I really like it, though my preferred target would be _blank, not _self) and looks the same as the homepage, as does the old forum (though that obviously didn't get the new navbar but has the old one); the new one, however, the issue tracker and the code page, do not.
In short, my first impression of the Chakra website is 'messy'.
My point is that the new forum only adds to the mess.

AlmAck wrote:

But the forum is were the users stay longer, and should be clean and simple.

(Emphasis mine).
I agree. Which is what one gets with Flux, and doesn't with Discourse.

AlmAck wrote:

With discouse we are sure that we can reinforce the user connection and collaboration with the team and the whole community.

Do you work in marketing? Have you seen all the reactions to the change and counted the positive and the negative ones?
We don't like the new forum, it's that simple, and it's becoming fairly obvious.
Discourse is obviously not the right tool for the job, and all team can say about it is it's "modern" or even worse buzzwords, and that the decision has been made and is final.

Were users interviewed? Was there a survey I missed?

Do our opinions even matter?

#7 2017-08-25 18:14:04

ahjolinna
Tester

^^^ditto

Last edited by ahjolinna (2017-08-25 18:14:27)

#8 2017-08-28 23:34:13

AlmAck
Sr. Packager
Website

ReemZ wrote:

In short, my first impression of the Chakra website is 'messy'.
My point is that the new forum only adds to the mess.

I agree, our website is messy, but we are working on it, we that requires time. The first looking impression can be improved, a lot.

ReemZ wrote:

Do you work in marketing? Have you seen all the reactions to the change and counted the positive and the negative ones?
We don't like the new forum, it's that simple, and it's becoming fairly obvious.
Discourse is obviously not the right tool for the job, and all team can say about it is it's "modern" or even worse buzzwords, and that the decision has been made and is final.

Yes the decision is final, we have discussed that last year during our meeting and we set to move to discourse as our goal. The reasons were well known and we had lot of discussion with you (our users).
The work started one year ago, and trust me, was not easy. This was a long weighted decision, moving to a new forum is like a heart transplantation, must be well pondered to assure the better for the user. We trust in the potential of discourse, let's move on!

Board footer