#1 2017-04-01 13:16:16

tetris4
Communicator
Website

The return of the bundles: Switching all applications to snaps

As originally announced on our news page, pictures included.

We are excited to announce today that our team of contributors has decided to gradually fade out the traditional repository system and start introducing in carefully designed steps all our applications as snaps. Snaps are specially crafted bundles of applications which also include libraries they depend upon. This means Pacman and Octopi will soon not be needed for installing your favourite applications as they will be just a click away. At the same time, our packagers will have less work to do so they will have more time to enjoy their favorite Steam games on Chakra.

Those of you that have been following Chakra through its 10 years history are aware that we were pioneers in experimenting with new technologies and implementations. We were among the first to ship modular KDE packages, support a single desktop environment and toolkit and of course release our packages in the unique half-rolling model which we continue to improve so we can offer the best experience to our users.

Another innovation we introduced several years ago were bundles. It was a way to ship and easily manage Gtk+ based applications on a system that was focused exclusively on KDE and Qt. We utilized a simple click-to-install GUI method that also made removing packages easy, maintaining your system clean of unneeded dependencies. However the technology available back then was still not mature, so integrating bundles with the rest of the system was always a problem and we unfortunately had to drop it after a while.

Yet much time has passed since then. New exciting solutions have emerged like snap and flatpak packages, backed by major companies and distributions. We have been considering and testing these technologies for exactly a year now, taking into consideration their advantages and disadvantages. As it was with bundles, snap packages make installing applications very easy. You simply download the package from the developer's website or a repository like uappexplorer, click on it and you are done!

We hope our users support this change and enjoy a new way of managing applications that we believe is the future.

You can help improve Chakra by getting involved or donating!

#2 2017-04-01 14:04:29

ReemZ

Re: The return of the bundles: Switching all applications to snaps

Great. More bloat and more Cuntnonical influence.
What's next, an in-built Amazon client? Cortana?
Please tell me I can at least choose to ignore that rubbish and stick to pacman...

If it no longer makes me curse, swear, explode, if I don't hate it at times, it means I no longer care about it...

#3 2017-04-01 14:24:29

Kepsz
Tester

ReemZ wrote:

Great. More bloat and more Cuntnonical influence.
What's next, an in-built Amazon client? Cortana?
Please tell me I can at least choose to ignore that rubbish and stick to pacman...

Happy April's fools day!  big_smile

#4 2017-04-01 14:27:17

ReemZ

FUCK!!! April already? Completely missed that.
Well played, ya bastards! tongue

If it no longer makes me curse, swear, explode, if I don't hate it at times, it means I no longer care about it...

#5 2017-04-01 16:53:14

fred

Some of the most innovative features at Chakra, only last a day.

#6 2017-04-01 23:19:18

tetris4
Communicator
Website

I really wish we had the resources to implement all the ideas we had over the years faster and more efficiently, cause we keep coming up with some really good ones! cool

As most of you probably guessed (we know some of you fell for it!) the Snaps story was indeed an April Fool's Day joke. tongue Of course we are not switching our application packages to Snaps.

But this does not mean that everything was a lie! You can already install Snaps on Chakra using the snapd package available in CCR and we are discussing about bringing this support to our official repos.

Would you welcome such an option?

You can help improve Chakra by getting involved or donating!

#7 2017-04-01 23:51:40

ReemZ

tetris4 wrote:

You can already install Snaps on Chakra using the snapd package available in CCR and we are discussing about bringing this support to our official repos.

Would you welcome such an option?

Choice is always good, but just like any other package in CCR, promotion to official repos shouldn't be considered until it picks up enough votes.

Board footer